Bayside is an unincorporated community 2.25 miles south – southeast of Arcata, at an elevation of 33 feet in Humboldt County, California. The relatively large area was originally covered by large, ancient Coast Redwood trees down to what was the edge of a significantly larger Humboldt Bay at high tide. Later, the mammoth redwoods (especially those near the Jacoby Creek) made it the natural placement of some of the area’s earliest redwood lumber operations.
Today, Bayside provides Arcata a buffer from Eureka’s northward expansion along US Route 101 and the area, with the exception of some business and public buildings, is largely rural, with homes and small ranches dotting the landscape.
The first post office at Bayside opened in 1886. Even with its own post office, Bayside was partially annexed into the City of Arcata and is policed by Arcata police and the county sheriff. The original Jacoby Creek School was built in 1903 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The Bayside Grange was built in 1941 as a meeting hall for farmers and is still used as an all-purpose hall for the community.